Wednesday, October 13, 2010

Happy as a Clam


This was one of those mornings I spoke of yesterday when I said that I sometimes end up after dark at a motel picked randomly from the many roadside inns that speckle Hwy 1.  I have no idea where I really am until I wake up in the morning and see what is around the motel or nearby.


There were a lot of motels along this one stretch of highway South of Kennebunkport, ME which made me curious as to why.  I got up around dawn and went driving around to see what the attraction was.  Turns it Ogunquit is the largest and longest natural sand beach in Maine.  in fact it was the first sand beach I had seen in the entire coast.  Every other beach is rocky and bouldery (bouldery?).


The public beach access and surrounding shops and beachfront hotels were a holdover form the 50's which inspired this postcard.


You just never know what you will wake up to each morning.  That is the fun and the gamble of road tripping with no goal or destination in mind.  Does this mirror life?  I dunno, but the clam shell seemed pretty smiley even though it had long since lost it's owner (or vice versa).


a Robservation for Oct. 13, 2010

No comments: