Thursday, November 25, 2010

Do Trees Cry in the Fall?


For all my tree hugger friends here is my thoughts on Fall.


A couple of days ago I was sipping coffee out on my deck just before dawn.  I heard the sound of raindrops lightly striking the dry leaves on the ground ( I haven't raked the yard yet).


It was odd because it was not sprinkling on me.  The sound was just coming from over by the huge maple tree. 
I pondered this atmospheric anomaly for a minute then I realized it was not raindrops tapping the ground, but the leaves falling off the tree were making the noise.


It was kind of sad.  The tree was slowly releasing it leaves like it knew it had to let go, but wasn't ready to say goodbye yet.


The next day it rained, and rained.  Most of the leaves were blown off, but the next morning those that were left were still very wet and dripping.  The sound was almost exactly the same as the dry leaves dropping the previous day.


I got my camera out to get a few shots of early morning sun making the leaves  glow.  All the little bare limbs and the remaining leaves had  water drops glistening on their tips.    It reminded of tears.  The tree seemed sad, but knew it had to let go of the past in order to look forward to Spring when it would be happy again with all new leaves to nourish and be nourished by.


The same is true for us.  Sometimes we have to let go of something or someone in order to have room in our hearts for someone new or to simply renew our souls be releasing something or someone who has been preventing us from moving forward.

3 comments:

Honey said...

Rob, what a beautiful, sweet thought.
Since fall is my favorite season and I love the changing leaves this is particularly endearing to me.
I love the analogy of the old life being shed for the new growth that is to come.
On a lighter note...I also feel like crying when the leaves are falling because I know that raking season is here....the only down side of fall!!

No Time To Snooze said...

Could it be tears of joy, not sorrow? Fallen leaves are full of nutrients and make an excellent compost that feeds the tree and gives it energy to burst out in blooms in upcoming Spring.

Beautiful photo.

Roblog said...

Good point. Also gives me an excuse to not rake the leaves!